Website West Berkshire Council - Great Britain
£32,076 to £41,418 per annum
Making West Berkshire greener, fairer, and more prosperous, with thriving communities and services we are proud of.
We are looking for enthusiastic Civil Engineers to join our Flood Risk and Drainage team at West Berkshire. We act as the Lead Local Flood Authority and Local Highway Authority fulfilling statutory duties in relation to flood risk and surface water drainage under the Land Drainage Act 1991 and the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
The successful applicants will join an exciting developing team and will work in areas principally related to reactive drainage, flood risk and/or planning. Other duties will include working on surface water drainage designs, flood alleviations schemes, flood resilience schemes, asset management, ordinary watercourse consenting and community engagement.
- Help meet the councils sustainability goals by providing advice and feedback on new developments as a statutory consultee.
- Actively solve surface water drainage problems across the district by providing reactive drainage solutions when issues emerge.
- Work on flood alleviation, flood mitigation and flood resilience schemes protecting residents from the impacts of flooding.
- Help improve our service by contributing to investigations, assessments and studies into the surface water and highway drainage networks.
- Collate data and information to inform our Asset Management Plans
- Provide ordinary watercourse consents helping to protect the district from unlawful/unsuitable development.
- Work cooperatively with other teams within West Berkshire Council.
- Engage with other risk management authorities and community groups across West Berkshire.
The ideal candidate would have the following skills and attributes
- Degree plus 2 years or HNC plus 5 years (or equivalent) experience in Civil Engineering or show that you are on a recognised training programme.
- Experience in service provision in either the public or private sector with an emphasis on multi-disciplinary team working and stakeholder engagement in relation to sustainable drainage designs and dealing with stakeholders and the general public.
- Knowledge and understanding of legislation in relation to flood risk management and highways works.
- Understanding and experience in relation to Civil Engineering software (such as AutoCAD, GIS, Microdrainage, etc.).
Our offer to you
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- We offer flexible working wherever possible between the hours of 07.00-19.00
- We offer hybrid working wherever possible working 40% in the office
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities
- Local government pension scheme
- Family friendly policies
- A range of local discounts
- Wellbeing Programme including Employee Assistance
- Programme and employee benefits
- You will also be entitled to a generous annual leave entitlement starting at 27 days per annum (plus public holidays) Rising by an additional 5 days after 5 years’ service.
- Annual starting salary of between £32,076 – £41,418
All roles will be subject to an annual banding pay review until the top of the pay grade is reached (following successfully passing probation)
All roles will be eligible for the annual national pay award.
West Berkshire council is a forward thinking and ambitious council. We have a positive attitude to our work and focus on excellent teamwork to deliver award winning services for our residents and businesses.
We employ over 1,500 members of staff corporately, plus additional members of staff working across our local schools and education settings. We offer a wide array of opportunities for training and development and varied career progression opportunities.
Our staff support the delivery of a wide range of services on behalf of the Council. Ranging from garden waste collection, planning and roadworks to caring for those in our communities. Everything we do is focused on our priority for improvement and delivering our values of fairness, integrity and being customer focused.
If you interested in working with us and want to know more, do not hesitate to contact Paul Bacchus on 07867 177 552 or email@example.com
Join us in shaping a greener, fairer, and more prosperous West Berkshire – apply today!
The Council supports Equal Opportunity of employment, and positively encourages applications from people who fall within any of the nine protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010.
How to apply
Please complete an online application form.
Where possible please use Google Chrome as your preferred internet browser to complete your online application form. This system no longer supports the use of Internet Explorer as a browser which will cause issues when trying to submit your application.
This role requires the incumbent to have a car available at work to undertake his/her duties as they will be expected to undertake at least 1500 business miles per year. Essential Car User status attracts a lump sum allowance paid on a monthly basis as well as a free car parking space if he/she works at one of the Council’s corporate buildings.
This role has been identified as public facing in accordance with Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016; the requirement to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence in English applies.
This privacy notice applies to job applicants applying for vacancies with West Berkshire Council https://info.westberks.gov.uk/pnapplications
To apply for this job please visit ats-westberkshire.jgp.co.uk.